Friday, December 23, 2005

Time: Persons of the Year 2005 - Bono of U2

Bono of the rock band U2, together with Bill and Melinda Gates, are featured as Persons of the Year 2005 by Time magazine.

I have been reading this story of Bono in a nearly addicted way. They are recognized as Persons of the Year because of the effect they have brought along in ending the world's extreme poverty, for people in developing countries. Just by reading the article you can feel how these people and these issues are rooted so deeply in Bono's heart.

It struck me when I read this line when the writer talked about Bono's work:
This is not about pity. It's more about passion.
Yes, that's passion I see in Bono's life, as a Christian himself (I believe he is...).

And Bono's thought on how to balance his work for the poverty and his music also touched my heart deeply. This is what he said:
It's tricky if you're recording a vocal to get called out because there's a finance minister on the phone. It's hard explaining that to the rest of the band. I've got to be careful because music is what's given me the license, and I have to serve it. I have crossed that line and gone too far. I'm trying to figure this out as we speak. It's not easy. The thing you've really got to watch is that it's always a life-or-death issue, so you can play martyr. If somebody doesn't play Live 8, it's like, "You're killing Africans!" [Laughter]
The writer at Time said it well:
It might be possible to imagine Bono shedding his title as the world's greatest activist and reverting to his previous role as its biggest rock star--except that his happiness and peace of mind so obviously depend on being both.
I think, may be that's Bono's "cross"...

***

btw, I also thought of Ellen @ at17 when I was reading this article. I remember clearly what she shared in their last concert, how much she felt for the people she met in Africa, and how she wanted to do more for them:
Ellen, would really like to share Bono's story with you. May be in it you'll find inspiration, on how you, too, can do and can be much more for those people in need in Africa.

No comments: