Sunday, February 26, 2006

popo: Battle on.

(as posted in popo hompy)

It has been so long since my last post! The popo wave at the Chinese New Year Parade was so strong that it seemed to sweep us all. Yet a lot has taken place since then - after all, public holiday was only up to "Nin Cho Sam" and office and work has started again for some weeks already!

I think the happiest thing for me is to have a new colleague joining the department - a fresh graduate, just joining the company, as the big boss's assistant. Of course he's sweet and just like most new joiners, eager to learn and eager to help out. But the sweetest thing is that in him I can so frequently see popo spirit at work!


Well, he himself is lovely, of course. But I think the main reason for him to bring out so much popo spirit from people around him is exactly because he's just new to the department. I don't know for others but for myself, it's much easier to popo a new person, a person with less "love hate complex" or "history" with me, and a less experienced person so I can always play "big sister" and "teach him something".

It's such a contrast when I look at myself when facing another colleague. She is my counterpart in a different team. I have never thought that I particularly hate her or dislike her. I just thought that our characters were not particularly alike and that we didn't get along particularly well.

But then this one day, it's like I suddenly saw myself clearly the first time: that actually I had always been having grudges against her and I had never, ever, tried or thought about popo her. And it was for such a small thing as she mentioned something to my boss previously, instead of talking to me directly...

I was so shocked that day. When I was thinking I have been doing pretty good and popo others, I suddenly discovered the truth that actually, I didn't do half as good as I thought I was...

But I remain hopeful. The fight was more difficult when one doesn't know what kind of situation one was fighting with. At least, I know it now and can start over again and choosing to popo her, once more.

It's a war to truly live out the popo spirit, every day, and we need to win battle by battle. Let's battle on.

No comments: