Thursday, November 20, 2008

Healing the Leprosy & Paralytic - Luke 5:12-26

Then it was the story of Jesus healing the man with leprosy. Many have pointed out before how loving an act Jesus has done, by not only healing him but in fact reaching out and touching the man. Indeed this is something we can do even today: we may have been giving out small changes to the beggar at the street corner every day, but have we ever reached out to talk to him or to give him a pat on the back? I remember reading from Mother Teresa that it's LOVE that all these people needed most. And I am guilty on this one, along the many other things.

Another thing I noted from v14 is that Jesus told the man not to tell others about his healing him. But then in v15, "Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses." It wasn't stated in Bible but it is quite obvious that the leprosy man did tell others about it; frankly, how could he not to? It's such great, great news! If it were me I would tell every body I meet, not only just those that I know! Though Jesus has told him not to tell, to give more allowance to the leprosy man, I would just imagine Jesus didn't tell him WHY he shouldn't tell and so he didn't follow Jesus' order, thinking Jesus just trying to be modest.

Next is the story of healing the paralytic, who was hoisted down from the roof by his friends. When reading this passage in the past, I just simply put on Jesus' view point: why would you the Pharisees and teachers wonder in your hearts for Jesus' authority to forgive sins? Of course he has the authority! He is Jesus the Christ!

But when I read this passage again this time, trying to put myself into their shoes, I could see their reaction was only normal and reasonable. Truly, there were only 2 alternatives: either the person saying this blasphemy, or he truly had the authority to forgive sin, i.e. having the authority of God! To them, Jesus was just 'another person' and they didn't know he was the Christ. So it made sense to them to blame Jesus for blasphemy.

I wonder if I was born at that time as a Jew, whether I would be able to accept Jesus Christ to my life. I suspect that I wouldn't. Imagine Jesus was no longer the 'figure' in Bible that has been spoken about so much and be remembered in Christmas and Easter every year. Imagine Jesus was just like a "John Chan" or "Mary Lee" growing up next door, living in another housing estate, going to the same primary and secondary school as I did. How would I, how could I, believe that he's the savior of the world? Especially with my pride and ego, there's only a slim chance I could believe that indeed he HAS the authority to forgive sin. Indeed, He is God.

I guess another very good reminder from "The Jesus I Never Knew" was that actually I am not that much different from a Pharisee. When I used to identify with Jesus when I was reading the Gospels in the past, I am now more alert on the words Jesus spoke against the Pharisees, and check myself against those deeds instead.

No comments: