Monday, October 27, 2008

The Birth of John and the Birth of Jesus - Luke 1: 57-2:20

This is so well known. I don't think I need to repeat it here. A few things just jumped to me:

1. What a big contrast between the birth of John and the birth of Jesus! One was surrounded by friends and family, a well celebrated event, a baby boy expected by many people for a long time. The other, born in a faraway land, no close family or friends around. Expected by many for a long time also (every one was waiting for the Messiah!) but at the same time least expected among close friends and family (baby from virgin Mary). There was no celebration by close friends and family, but strangely with visits from strangers the shepherds.

Seeing all this, it was indeed a very humble entry of our almighty God into the world in Jesus. Philip Yancey said it surprised him on how humble it was. We may not be surprised nowadays to link 'humble' with Jesus. But if I put myself back to that time, only getting to know God from the Old Testament, 'humble' is as far from God as north pole from south pole.

Why must God enter the world in such a humble way? So that the weak and the poor can identify with Him easier?

2. After the visit by the shepherds, 'Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.' (Luke 2:19 NIV) To me, Mary was not only a faithful, trusting servant of God as mentioned in the last post, she was also wise and smart. You can tell from this verse. And it got me thinking - how often do I treasure up all the wonderful things that God has done for me and ponder them in my heart? Too often I'm too forgetful... guess that's why I need to write my blog more deligently, to remind myself now and later on all the wonderful things God has done for us!

No comments: