Sunday, May 06, 2007

Love in Action - "The Brothers Karamazov"


I think every friend who know my husband Wesley or have read his blog would have heard about Fyodor Dostoyevsky, this Russian writer, and his book "The Brothers Karamazov". This book means a lot to Wesley's and has influenced him greatly.

Since I got to know Wesley 10+ years ago he started to invite me to read this book. It never happened as I never found the interest to pick up this 700+ pages novel, with tiny words filling up each page.

Our Lord has set time for every thing. I don't know why but before I went to my Melbourne trip this time, I was suddenly interested in this book and packed it to my luggage.

And once I got started, I am really attracted to it - I know this book has profound impact on how Wesley sees faith and God and religion, but I have not expected that actually the whole book IS indeed about God our Lord!

So far I have only read 100+ pages, but it's such a good read. It's a really good book. And below is one paragraph which I find particularly insightful, in Chapter 4 of Book 2. I'd call it "Love in Action":

(A lady of Little Faith) “I suffer …from lack of faith.”

(A Father, an elder in Church) “Lack of faith in God?”

...

(Lady) “... You see, I shut my eyes and ask myself if every one has faith, where did it come from? ... How, how is one to prove it? ... How can I prove it? How can I convince myself? ...”

(Father) “No doubt. But there’s no proving it, though you can be convinced of it.”

(Lady) “How?”

(Father) "By the experience of active love. Strive to love your neighbour actively and indefatigably. In as far as you advance in love you will grow surer of the reality of God and of the immortality of your soul. If you attain to perfect self-forgetfulness in the love of your neighbour, then you will believe without doubt, and no doubt can possibly enter your soul. This has been tried. This is certain.”

Will certainly go on reading.


No comments: